Benjamin Baker compiled the following book about Oakwood and its beginnings. You may read A Place Called Oakwood online.
The official history of the school is captured in Dr. Mervyn A. Warren's book Oakwood a Vision Splendid Continues (1896-2010).
This website is a quick overview of "Introducing Oakwood" from the Keys to Success book used in the OU101 course.
The original sixteen students of the Oakwood Industrial school are:
1. Frank Brice 9. Mary Morford
2. George Graham 10. Thomas Murphy
3. Ella Grimes 11. Lela Peck
4. Robert Hancock 12. Daisy Pollard
5. Etta Littlejohn 13, Harry Pollard
6. Mary McBee 14. Grant Royston
7. Nannie McNeal 15. Samuel J. Thompson
8. Charles Morford 16. Frances Worthington